Last year saw the launch of the first round of the Global WebVR Hackathon, which received 34 concepts from teams from 13 countries. Now, with the WebXR API, we are inviting you to think bigger and expand your concepts to be accessible to the full spectrum of VR and AR devices.
This edition, running from May 25 to July 31, 2018, has two tracks for creators to choose from and develop their concepts according to.
- Games from the past: Reinvent a classic game by using the new possibilities offered by the WebXR API: e.g. Tetris in 3D, PacMan controlled with the headset, or find a clever way to use this new paradigm to give those games an entirely new user design and approach.
- Education: By departing from the traditional way of learning in a 2D space, Virtual, Mixed or Augmented Reality offers an additional dimension to how to approach basic teaching methodology, presentation of the curriculum, and training environments. Apply these new resources now at your disposal to teach people in a fun and immersive way.
There are none, except to abide to one of the above tracks in theme. That said, it is generally a good idea to try to submit your concept as early as possible in order to rally enough votes to make it into the top 10 ranked concepts, which the panel of judges will draw the top 2 winners from.
Please do note, however, that brownie points will be awarded to concepts that implement the following special features:
- Progressive enhancement: if your experience is available through multiple devices and uses the available technology of each of them (more about it in this article)
- Multiplayer: if your experience enable users to regroup and have social interaction in it
- Accessibility: if your experience has a special feature enabling accessibility (like for visual/hearing/motor physical impaired people)
If you have any other questions, please first check the FAQ
, and if all else fails, please use the Contact us
Cool gear for prizes
While the prize list continues to grow, please see for the following confirmed items to be awarded to winners:
1st prize: A Samsung Odyssey and a VR-Ready laptop
2nd prize: A Samsung goodies bag + a 500€ gift card + a Gear 360
3rd prize: An Oculus Rift + controllers
Our sponsors for this edition include Mozilla, Samsung Internet and Supermedium. Our media partner is Upload.
We have collected a diverse range of industry experts, influencers, and leaders with a range of backgrounds and skill-sets represented, including developers, designers, devrels, and marketing professionals.
Principal Engineer at JanusVR
Chief XR Officer at Prisma Media Solutions
Cofounder & CEO at Sketchfab
Frontend Developer & Organizer of WebXR Berlin Meetup
UI/UX Designer/Developer & WebXR Advocate at A-Frame NYC Meetup
VR and AR Interaction Prototyper at Normal VR
A-Frame Maintainer & Cofounder at Supermedium
Developer Advocate for Mozilla Mixed Reality
Product Manager Creator Experience, LensVR at Coherent Labs
Principal Engineer & WebXR API Spec Editor
Chris Van Wiemeersch
Senior UX/UI Web Engineer, Virtual Reality at Mozilla
Google Developer Expert for Web Technologies at Nrwl.io